In John 17, Christ prays at several levels. At one level he prays for his disciples. There are several lists of ways to pray for those to whom we preach on Sunday mornings But I like this list because it comes directly from Jesus’ prayer in John 17.
As I pray for those to whom I preach, here is what I try to pray:
- Protection for unity (v. 11)
- Joy (v. 13)
- Protection from the evil one (v. 15)
- Sanctification by the truth (v. 17)
- For the unity of the followers (20)
- For the followers’ closeness to God and to one another so that others might believe (21)
- For the followers unity (22)
- For all followers to be present with the Lord & to see Christ’s glory (24)
- That both the Father’s and Jesus’ love may be in them (25).
I am not sure where this list originated. It may be something from Pray Magazine or it may be from John Maxwell or it may be from somewhere totally different. If you know the source, let me know and I will try to credit it.