Several lists exist:
list. UN Univ.
- Millennium Development Goals
Consensus Top Ten Global Problems Copenhagen
- Rick Warren’s Peace Plan
McLaren’s summary:Four Global Crises
Because the image above is fuzzy, let me give it’s elements:
There is the ecosystem. (Oval) Into it comes solar energy & light.
There is the societal system. It (we) receive resources from the ecosystem & put out waste.
Within the societal system there are three struggles: equity, prosperity & security.
- A prosperity system that can’t stop growing beyond environmental limits, resulting in multi-faceted environmental crises
- An equity system that can’t keep pace with the growing gap between the rich minority and the poor majority resulting in resentment and fear.
- A security system that pits rich against poor with more and more catastrophic weapons.
- Framing Story = The failure of the world religions to provide a framing story capable of healing the societal machine, ie Good News.
Religions can too often be found in support of existing framing stories
- Domination/ Empire
- Revolution / Warrior
- Revenge / Scapegoating
- Isolation / Withdrawal
These dynamics were present in Jesus’ day
- Dominations —Herodians
- Revolution — Zealots
- Scapegoating — Herodians
- Isolation — Senses