Terry O’Casey is the minister at High Lakes Christian Church in LaPine, OR (in central Oregon). Terry was for many years the preaching minister at the Seaside Christian Church in Seaside, OR. He grew that church in a solid way and has done an incredible job turning around what was a dying church in LaPine. Terry is more than a little unorthodox in his methods, but God has blessed his work. He also is an adjunct professor of preaching and ministry at Boise (ID) Bible College and Northwest Christian College (Eugene, OR).
In a conversation with Terry, I asked him if he were to recommend ten books to preachers, what would they be. His list (like Terry) is different from what I might have expected from others, and so I thought I would share it with you:
- The Tanakh-Torah, Navim and the Katavim-“The Old Testament”
- The New Testament-I put both of these first, because we read so much about the Bible, but not the Bible itself.
- Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. You have to make sure you get a good translation however.
- The Contemplative Pastor by E. Peterson. This book gives a fatal blow to busy pastors.
- Life Together, D. Bonhoeffer-Written on the run from Hitler
- Velvet Elvis-Rob Bell-This stresses the importance of seeing the core of what we do in the church from the standpoint of the Hebrew mindset and discipleship Jesus’ style
- Organic Church by Neil Cole, for the utter simplicity of the house church
- Jesus I Never Knew-Philip Yancey
- Sabbath, Abraham Heschel-An example of rich Jewish spirituality by a well known Hassidic Jew.
- The Endurance, Caroline Alexander-the amazing leadership skills of E. Shackleton
Thanks Terry! There are a couple here I want to run out and get. I look forward to sharing lists from others.