I cannot tell you the number of times through the years that people have said they were praying for my preaching. I wanted that and solicited that. But I don’t think I ever got very specific about what it was for which I wanted them to pray.
Colin Adams in Unashamed Workman has put together what is both a helpful and biblical list. How great to be able to hand this to people to give them some direction for their prayers!!
- For _________ to love God’s Word and have a desire to meditate on it continually (Psalm 119: 97)
- For _________ to preach nothing but Christ and Him crucified (1 Cor. 2:2)
- For _________to proclaim God’s Word with a demonstration of the Spirit’s power (1 Cor. 2:4-5)
- For _________ to comprehend the realities of God’s presence; the appearing and judgment of Christ Jesus, and in that light ‘preach the Word.’ (2 Tim 4:1-1)
- For _________ to patiently and carefully correct, rebuke and encourage via the instrument of the Word of God, whatever the hostile climate to sound doctrine (2 Tim 4:2-3)
- For _________ to boldly proclaim the gospel (Eph 6:19-20)
- For _________ to be filled with the Holy Spirit (Eph 5:18 )
- For _________ to be clear in his proclamation (Col. 4:3-4).
- For _________ to prepare God’s people for works of service through the teaching of the Scriptures (Eph 4:11ff)
- For_________ to see some fruit for their preaching and teaching: some becoming wise unto salvation by the Scriptures (2 Tim 3:15), others being sanctified by the truth (John 17:17)