I was hoping to get to the Text & Context Conference at Mars Hill Church in Seattle last month & then was bummed because it sold out. (It was my fault for procrastinating registering). But yesterday Justin Buzzard (who WAS at the conference) noted that the video & audio of the conference was now online. I immediately began downloading like a fiend.
This morning I listened to a short 2 minute clip of Mark Driscoll speak about what he asks himself when he prepares to speak. Here is my outline of what he had to say:
What Do You Ask Yourself When Preparing to Preach
1. What does the scripture say?
- Look at original Greek & Hebrew
- Pray & meditate on scriptures
2. Practically, what does it mean?
- Interpretative, hermeneutical, exegetical aspect
- I know what it says, but practically what does it mean?
3. How or why do we resist it?
- Romans 1-we have a propensity to suppress the truth so we can continue in the unrighteousness of our deeds
- I assume that I and others when we hear the word of God will not initially gladly receive it. We become hard hearted, obstinate. rebellious We will contend against scripture
- Question is: In what ways will people have objections, dismissals?
- One of great qualities of Puritan preaching: they would work to predict which ways there would be resist to the scriptures & then they would object to those objections. Contend in an apologetical way to fight against those objections
- It is not just enough to preach scripture, but must assume that resistance is coming and then try to defeat & disarm those objections so the hearer is continually forced to continually contend with the truth of God’s Word.
4. How does this apply to our mission?
- What has God called us to individually, in our families, in our church, for our city, to our culture & the mission he has us on as a people.
- Not just personal application, but family application, application to our church, to our mission to bring the good news to bring the love of God to our city & culture?
- Incredibly important—otherwise they will know some scripture but not be able to live a life that will allow them to be an agent of transformation in our world.
Numbers three and four are particularly helpful for me to keep in mind as I prepare. I tend to think too often that if people understand what it means that they only need a little help in application. But I think the idea of predicting & addressing resistance is important. I also am not strong in keeping us focused on the concept of mission, so his words are very instructive to me.