In an article featured on John Maxwell’s Maximum Impact site, Sanborn lists seven reasons why speakers flop. He is speaking re: business presentations primarily, but the same caveats apply to preaching.
His seven are:
- A disregard for time
- Unclear purpose
- Inadequate preparation
- Failure to capture attention
- False endings
Sanborn gives explanations of each of his points and then provides a checklist for thinking through your sermon/presentation:
- Did I stick to my allotted time?
- Did I develop and present purposefully?
- Was I thoroughly prepared?
- Did I capture attention at the very beginning?
- Did I positively influence listeners?
- Was I appropriately entertaining, or at least not boring?
- Did I end only once?
You can find the entire article here.