Many moons ago, I heard Myron Taylor speak at some conference at
Some of my notes on that long-lost lecture:
If we study the Bible, we see that preaching has a priority
- Jesus came preaching. “God had only one son and he made him a preacher.” –Thomas Goodwin
- From the beginning the church was a preaching church (Acts 6:4)2. Theologians have been more convinced of and excited about preaching than preachers have.
- When you look at the history of preaching, you see that the high times of the church—the times of revival & reformation—have been times of great preaching. Low periods of the church have been low periods of preaching.
- We are losing our ability to concentrate
- Commercialism has resulted in our loss of vocabulary
- As a result of propogandism, the better a speaker is today, the more he is suspected of insincerely trying to put things over on his hearers.