PLUSES OF SEQUENTIAL EXPOSITION:
- You would preach texts you would otherwise never preach, maybe even avoid!
- I never had to fret about what I was going to preach on next Sunday.
- If you preach, you ARE a theologian; exposition helps you develop as a better theologian. You are better at 30 than you were at 20; better at 40 than at 30, etc.
- Michael Jordan is declining in his abilities. Hughes is still improving in his abilities!!
- It keeps you subject to the text. Topical preaching imposes an outside statement on desperate texts. It keeps you from preaching your theological framework.
- It gives you confidence to preach, "Thus saith the Lord."
- It is the confidence that when you open the Word, the spirit speaks
- It avoids the accusation of preaching "at" people.
- It teaches people how to read "God’s Word"
- One person’s reaction to Hughes expositional preaching: "It is like moving an athletic event into slo-mo so your people can see what is all involved that you miss when you rush through it."