As a part of a bigger discussion on “Is Application Necessary in Expository Preaching” (which actually has some helpful insights), Paul Lamey over at Expository Thoughts blog quotes Jay Adams in his book Truth Applied (pg. 54), Adams offers a few questions which help aid the expositor in thinking through application:
1) What is the telos [end, or purpose] of the preaching portion? Is that also the telos of your sermon?
2) In what sort of situation does the telos occur? What was going on? To what is it addressed?
3) In the passage, who is doing what about the situation
- to understand it?
- to change it?
- to complicate it?
4) How does God view the situation? Is He
- Pleased with it?
- Displeased with it?
5) What response does He require?
You can view the entire discussion at: